Germany says it is suspending planned budget aid to Rwanda following allegations that the country supported eastern Congo’s latest rebellion.
Germany’s development ministry said Saturday that it suspended (EURO)21 million ($26 million) in contributions to Rwanda’s budget planned from this year through 2015. Britain and the Netherlands already have suspended support and the U.S. cut planned military aid.
A report by U.N. experts last month accused Rwanda of helping create, arm and support the M23 rebel movement in violation of U.N. sanctions. Rwanda denies the charges.
German Development Minister Dirk Niebel said he expects “unreserved cooperation” by Rwanda with the U.N. experts. He added in a statement: “The accusations must be cleared up completely, and it must be clear that Rwanda does not support any illegal militias in eastern Congo.”