PRESS RELEASE N°ISH2023/09/008
- On July 4th, 2021, we announced the recommendations of our congress held in Paris from July 1st to July 3rd of the same year. Our motto was and remains: WE WILL NEVER GIVE INTO THE CAPRICES OF THE CURRENT RULING PARTY, WHICH PUSHES US TO ABANDON OUR LEGITIMATE POLITICAL STRUGGLE. We decided to take part in all electoral processes scheduled in our motherland, and I was elected as the flagbearer of the Party for the 2024 presidential election.
- As we embark on the 2023–2024 political year, it is important to reaffirm our commitments in a struggle to install democracy in Rwanda through values of truth and social justice. Our journey to Kigali has already started with doing whatever will be needed to reach our destination no later than November 23rd, 2023.
- The political space in Rwanda remains tightly controlled by military and security organs, which are yet to grasp that they have nothing to do with politics. While they cannot be disenfranchised from exercising their rights to vote, they are called to demonstrate neutrality when it comes to electoral processes.
- For the last 29 years, Rwandans have always kept hope of fully enjoying their authority enshrined within the very principles of democracy—the power of the people, by the people, for the people—a dream that is yet to become real. The ruling party failed to convince the people of Rwanda that it is a political organization capable of tackling issues affecting the nation in this ever-changing world.
- We have instead seen disrespect for the ARUSHA Peace accords, from which the national and international community expected the healing of our nation torn apart by civil war and genocides. We have witnessed humiliation, persecution, and exclusion of citizens from the Hutu ethnic group, as well as the unjust incarceration of political opponents for only claiming their right to contribute to national political life. We have seen the rule of law disappearing slowly, with the Constitution being shamelessly violated by the same people who once used to brag about patriotism, national unity, and vision.
- In 2016 and 2017, we were blocked out of our country by the immigration directorate only because the incumbent feared our ever-rising popularity, although he never ceased to make noise about the supposed love of Rwandans for him. The man who once talked about good governance and whose political party chose “democracy” as one of its values did not hesitate to manipulate the Constitution and to attempt to stay in power, mashing up the noble principle of political changeover.
- As such, today the world is watching over a man who, after more than 20 years, wants to stay in power notwithstanding the crimes his regime has committed and is accused of. The youth of Rwanda, who at a certain time were told to be the future of the nation, have finally understood that such a usurpation of power cannot and should not be tolerated. Rwanda’s new generation must take up responsibility in all spheres of national life.
- Rwanda is facing many challenges due to bad leadership and a warlike clique that has been in power for over two decades. Today, the whole world is aware of what is happening in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), where millions of human lives have perished in armed conflicts, and the Rwanda top leaders are known to be the masterminds. This conflict should be taken seriously, and to preserve our people’s lives and secure a safe future, the RPF must leave power. Through the ballot, even the strongest tyrants are shaken up because this is the time when the people have the key to fully taking care of their destiny.
- In the coming days, we shall be in touch with you more regularly to give you updates on our activities, to seek your counsel and contribution, and most importantly, to share knowledge about democracy, good governance, and how to defeat dictatorship without arms. A special occasion will be held to communicate our manifesto and welcome your input, which we will cherish.
- We take this opportunity to call upon all political actors, the members of civil society, and all the citizens within Rwanda and abroad to join us for this historic moment. Together, we are going to uproot mediocrity and enthrone meritocracy, remove tyranny, and install democracy; rebuke divisionism and apartheid while we hug each other and embrace unity as one nation, one people, and one destiny. To the international community, we express our openness and willingness to cooperate. No one must keep supporting a liberticide regime while the credible and promising alternative is right here.
Long live Rwanda.
Long live Rwandans.
Long live the friends of Rwanda.
Nadine Claire KASINGE
President ISHEMA Party
Presidential candidate for the 2024 elections.