By David Himbara
Watch Kagame joking about electricity in Africa. But the joke is on him. Look at Rwanda’s electricity statistics.
- 216 Megawatts is the current amount of electricity Rwanda.
- 23% of 216 Megawatts (or 50 Megawatts) is lost due to old transmission infrastructure which means that available electricity in Rwanda is 166 Megawatts
- 683,817 is the total number of on-grid electricity subscribers in Rwanda.
- The number of off-grid customers was 142,194 in 2017.
- The total number of on-grid and off-grid customers in Rwanda is 826,011.
In other words, Rwanda has far less than a million electricity customers.
Kagame, wake up. Forget hotels and office blocks in Kigali. Invest in energy — that is the mother of development.