Libya:Khamis Gaddafi Reportedly Killed By Libyan Army During Bani Walid Siege

Khamis Gaddafi has reportedly been killed during fighting in the Libyan town of Bani Walid a year to the day that rebel forces killed his father and former dictator of Libya, Muammar.

The announcement was made through a short statement by Libyan national congress spokesman Omar Hamdan, who stated that the 28-year-old was killed “in battle,” reports The Guardian.

Gaddafi’s body was reportedly discovered after a day of fighting in Bani Walid between pro-Gaddafi forces and militias loyal to the new Libyan government.

Government forces reported 13 dead and 121 wounded following the fourth day of fighting in the town. Khamis Gaddafi’s reported death sparked wild celebrations in Mistrata, Libya’s third city. Mistrata was beseiged by Khamis’ 32nd Brigade for six months, where the brigade was blamed for a mass of murder, rape, and torture.

Not everyone was sure the news was real, however, since Khamis has been reported dead several times before. Reports added that the body of the 28-year-old was on its way to Mistrata, which would be a repeat of when his father’s body was brought to the same city for public display in October 2011, before being buried at a secret site.

Former militiaman Muhsen al-Gubbi spoke from Mistrata on Saturday, saying, “I want to cry. I am still waiting to see his body, I want to make sure he is dead.” Al Arabiya notes that Khamis Gaddafi was not found dead, but was instead mortally wounded and captured, where he later died.

The same day of Khamis’ reported killing, Libyan militias also reported the capture of former Gaddafi spokesman Moussa Ibrahim, who attempted to flee from Bani Walid. Libyan army spokesman Mohammed El Gandus added that they believe Bani Walid is a safe haven for former Gaddafi officials. El Gandus added:

“A lot of people who supported Gaddafi are hiding now in Bani Walid, we have a list of names.”

No independent verification has been made on either the death of Khamis Gaddafi or the capture of former government spokesman Moussa Ibrahim.